Demystify Top-Ranked YouTube Videos With These Simple SEO Techniques
How should you research keywords to rank your video for more views?
- Use Youtube suggest to find long tail keywords (and use "_" character to find words BEFORE.
- TubeBuddy for competitor tag research
- Tubular Labs for competitive research
- YTCockpit shows avg video length for given keyword. Helps you avoid keywords with a packed 1st page of high-quality videos.
- Best = YouTube Analytics. Analytics > Traffic Sources > YouTube Search
Major Key: Total watch time = YouTube's #1 ranking factor.
- Create LONG videos to maximize your watch time.
- This will pay off across the board over time since it's a core metric Google uses to determine your video's value.
Audience retention (the % of your video watched) is also key.
- The first 15 seconds of your video are critical. Nail your hook at all costs.
- Use 1-2 pattern interrupts per video to avoid losing your audience's attention.
Why you shouldn't overlook session watch time.
- YouTube rewards videos that keep people on their platform.
- Use playlists to increase bulk watching. Keyword optimize them so they rank.
- Include links to other videos and your channel on your video end screen.
Create raving fans with these user engagement rules of thumb.
- Give viewers a simple, specific option to successfully prompt comments. Don't make them think!
- Add a clear "Subscribe" call-to-action to your script.
- Reply to every comment in the first 24 hours after uploading.
Create a video title that scores clicks in 2 simple steps.
- Step #1: Include your target keyword
- Step #2: Maximize click-through-rate
Why video descriptions matter more than you thought.
- Most people overlook this — but you should write 200+ word descriptions for every video.
- Descriptions give YouTube more data to work with and increases the likelihood of showing up in suggestions.
- The first 125 characters of your description will appear in suggestions. Make them attention-grabbing to support your title's click-through rate.
But, how should I handle video tags?
- Pick 5-ish that make sense.
- Use your target keyword as one.
- Honestly, they're not as important as they used to be.
Quick wins that will boost your rankings.
- Say your target keyword 1-2 times in each video
- Upload a transcript using a service like Rev.com.
- Always use a custom thumbnail to boost CTR.
- Use a simple slogan so viewers understand your channel's purpose at a glance. Feature it in your about page.
Create a channel trailer that answers these essential questions to convert new subscribers.
- Who are you?
- Why should I care?
- What makes your channel unique?
- Why should I subscribe?
Loved this show? It would make our month (wait, no, our YEAR) if you left us a 5-star review on iTunes. ⭐⭐⭐⭐🌟
You can hit Matt Woods up on Twitter: @matopher
Connect with Jake on Twitter: @jakearenot